The round churchyard is surrounded by a stone wall, which incorporates the old pound. The shape of the churchyard indicates its antiquity, as it was believed that a round enclosure would make it more difficult for the devil to get in. The old pound was used for holding stray stock which were only released to the owner on payment of a fine.
There are several ancient yew trees, the one opposite the Church door being at least 200 years old. The Celts thought the yew represented immortality and was the abode of spirits. It gives shelter to worshipers and, being poisonous, farmers were deterred from letting their stock trespass in the churchyard. On each side of the Lych Gate are Holm, or evergreen oak trees (Quercus ilex), which are not native, and are believed to be 60 to 80 years old, possibly introduced by the Puxley family. They lose their leaves in spring and grow new ones in June. Other trees include Horse Chestnut, Common Lime and Box.
A new graveyard has been consecrated behind the Church as there is no more room in the old one.
Iolo Morgannwg was a mason by trade and after his visit to Llanddarog in 1796 commented that ‘The churchyard has many excellent black marble, found in the neighbourhood’. The oldest visible headstone is that of John Arthur 1765. It faces west, unless most which face east. Arthur is an old Welsh surname and appears frequently in Llanddarog records. It means a brave person.
Parishioners have been busy recently identifying each grave. The Churchyard survey has now been completed, so if you would like to find a particular relative or friend who may have been buried in the Churchyard, please contact the Churchyard Survey Manager on our Contact Us page above.